Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Southern Stranded Roadtrip

Purvis, Route 55, Mississippi © Amy Stein
Friday morning I am flying to New Orleans to begin the final leg of my Stranded project. The series began in NOLA over three years ago as a response to Katrina and the flooding of the city. Since that time I have logged thousands of miles on the road as our country has suffered through a series of corruptions and failures of our traditional institutions of support. As the country has endured a collapse of certainty, Stranded has taken on a much greater significance for me.

Like my previous Stranded trips I have mapped out a probable route. And, like my previous Stranded trips that route is subject to change depending on my success or failure at finding stranded motorists. Friday, I will be landing in New Orleans and then taking two days to soak up the city and Prospect.1. After that I am heading east on I-10 across the Panhandle to Jacksonville. Then I head north on I-95 to Savannah and northwest on I-16 to Macon and I-75 to Atlanta. From Atlanta, it's southwest on I-85 to Montgomery, AL, I-65 to Mobile, AL and then I-10 back to the Big Easy.

If you know of any 'can't miss' roadside attractions, down home eateries or cultural happenings on my route, please let me know.
Related Posts with Thumbnails