Friday, January 30, 2009

I Love Gifts in the Mail: Graham Miller and Kevin Miyazaki

It's been a while since I wrote a Gifts in the Mail post. This ass-up economy has put a crimp in the gift sending that once made my mailbox an almost weekly pinata of arty treats. Today the negative gift trend was busted in a big way.

Rhonda + Chantelle © Graham Miller
Graham Miller sent me a gorgeous print from his Suburban Splendor series. As I unrolled the image of Rhonda + Chantelle my knees buckled and I let out a series of ooohs and ahhs. Just stunning. It will be on my wall very soon.

© Kevin Miyazaki
Also arriving today was a small print from Kevin Miyazaki's 100 Very Small Observations show at MIAD. It is such a delicate and beautiful image.

Another recent gift in the mail was Susana Raab's self-published book A Sense of Place. Beyond showcasing her great talent, Susana's photos of the homes of William Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor, and Eudora Welty challenge us to think about the role of place in the creative process. You should own this book.

Finally on the recent gift list is a copy of Sadkids #5. Sadkids is a self-published photo 'zine featuring the work of the true San Francisco treat, Geoffrey Ellis. You can order your own copy of Sadkids for only $10, but you better hurry because they tend to sell out quickly.

Thank you all for such wonderful gifts.
Related Posts with Thumbnails