Sunday, February 27, 2011

Perfect Match



UPDATE: And still yet another 'match'. Commenter, BabyCakes, points me to the image below made by Melvin Sokolsky in 1960.

A portrait of Salma Hayek by Cass Bird appears on the cover of the 2011 Women's Spring Issue of the New York Times T Magazine. When I saw the image, I immediately thought of Josephine Meckseper's photograph Pyromaniac 2 and I tweeted that the T Magazine cover was clearly a "ripoff."

Well, I've been around the art world long enough to know that everything is a ripoff. Or, more accurately, everything is derivative of something else and that's what keeps art alive. Sure enough, @KennethJarecke responded to my tweet and reminded me of Douglas Kirkland's famous portrait of Jack Nicholson. And so it goes...


Salma Hayek, 2011 © Cass Bird



Pyromaniac 2, 2003 © Josphine Meckseper



Jack Nicholson at Home, 1975 © Douglas Kirkland


Isabella Match, 1960 © Melvin Sokolsky
Related Posts with Thumbnails