Thursday, August 27, 2009

School Daze

A high school graduate and friend in Baku, Azerbaijan © James Pomerantz
Photojournalist and newly minted graduate student James Pomerantz has launched a blog, A Photo Student, where he promises to detail all of his ups and downs during his first year in the MFA in Photography, Video and Related Media department at the School of Visual Arts.

As many of you may know I love to gush about the SVA. I graduated from the program in 2006 and I credit the experience with helping me rethink my work and approach to photography. And it has produced many stellar artists including Ofer Wolberger, Shen Wei, Alix Smith, Alejandra Laviada and Matthew Pillsbury.

In addition to blogging about life in an MFA program, James will be featuring interviews with famous alums (call me, James), students at other schools, and professors.

James just posted his class schedule and his first year lineup includes two of my favorite professors: lighting guru, Chris Callis, and the fantastically talented, Penelope Umbrico. He's also posted the summer reading list for incoming students. It includes some old familiar texts and few new ones (at least to me).

So if you want the grad school experience--but don’t want the debt--be sure to follow James’ progress during his first year.
Related Posts with Thumbnails