Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Light Rail Coyote



Inspiration rarely lands fully formed in my lap ready to party. Sometimes inspiration comes in fevered flashes of random images as I sleep; most of the time it comes in a slow march of real world dots and dabs that eventually add up to something grand. For Domesticated some of those dots came from the now defunct band Sleater-Kinney.


Sleater-Kinney's exploration of the tense space between the natural and human world seemed to begin at about the same time I was exploring the initial ideas behind my project. Starting with the song "Light-Rail Coyote" (inspired by the newspaper article above) and ending with the cover art for their final album The Woods and the video for "Entertain," Sleater-Kinney's choice of imagery and words helped inform the direction of my work in ways I didn't fully realize at the time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails