Thursday, December 14, 2006

Pretty in Pink

I have never been a pink girl. Growing up I didn't own a My Little Pony, I never wanted a Hello Kitty backpack, and I may have even rooted against Molly Ringwald finding love with Andrew McCarthy. This is not to say I am a tomboy -- I still enjoy girlie things and I believe my autopsy one day will show I was made of mostly sugar and spice -- I just wasn't wrapped in a pink blanket when I was born. As a photographer I am drawn to any discussion of the cultural significance and deeper meanings of color, so imagine my delight when I came across these two passages that reveal the capriciousness of our pink/blue gender tradition:
"If you like the color note on the little one's garments, use pink for the boy and blue for the girl, if you are a follower of convention." [The Sunday Sentinal, March 29, 1914.]

"There has been a great diversity of opinion on the subject, but the generally accepted rule is pink for the boy and blue for the girl. The reason is that pink being a more decided and stronger color is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is pertier for the girl." [Ladies Home Journal, June, 1918]
When I read this I immediately thought of Jeongmee Yoon's wonderful photo series, The Pink Project...

© Jeongmee Yoon 2005

...and the video piece Charlie White did for Adidas, Pink.
Related Posts with Thumbnails